A mattress is a long-term investment, both in terms of the money you spend and the impact it has on your daily well-being. Considering you spend a lot of time on your mattress throughout your life, this is an important decision and one you should consider carefully. Every person is different, with different sleeping habits, different physiques, and different preferences, so make sure you research and test various mattress options to ensure you invest correctly.
Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Do your homework! The internet will be an invaluable tool in your search. Start with mattress manufacturers. This will give you a better understanding of the brands, technology used in the mattresses, and other mattress and sleep tips. Find product / consumer review sites and use social media to see what consumers are saying about the particular brands. This is also a good platform to ask questions. The web should lead you to local retailers that stock certain brands where you may come across specials and promotions.
- Take into consideration the size of your bedroom. Make sure you choose a size that is practical and convenient for you. Check out our section on choosing the right Mattress Size here
- It’s always better to shop at a specialist mattress store. The sales people are better trained and informed about beds. Choose a reputable retailer and work with a knowledgeable salesperson who can guide you through your bedding choices. Compare the after-sales service i.e. delivery, financing, removal of your old mattress etc.
- Shop around! Look for the best value, not necessarily the lowest price. Buy the best possible quality bed you can afford in the largest size from a retailer you can trust.
- Compare comfort levels! A firm bed is not necessarily better! Many consumers use the word “firm” when, what they are actually looking for is “proper support”. That support comes from the way the mattress supports your body and provides you the relief you need on your pressure points. When you test a mattress at a retailer make sure you are wearing comfortable clothes, that both you and your partner take 10 to 15 minutes to test the different comforts. Try several different sleep positions. Repeat this on various bed sets until you find the bed that is right for you.
- Make sure you check all the variations, comforts and options available.
- Resist the temptation to just buy a new mattress and put it on top of your old foundation. If your mattress is worn out, chances are the foundation is too. Using an old foundation won’t allow your new mattress to give you the right support.
- It is important to ask about the guarantees and warranty claims and procedures.
- To protect your bed, invest in a mattress protector. Stains will void your warranty.
Use this buying guide to assist you: