A good mattress is made to last. But, like most things, it will last a lot longer if you look after it properly and give it a little TLC every so often. Remember, your mattress is an investment for better sleep, so follow these helpful tips to maximize the life and cleanliness of your mattress:
Taking care of your Mattress
- Rotate it! Check your mattress warranty for rotation cycles, whether the mattress should be simply rotated (if it’s a one-sided mattress) or rotated and flipped. Keep to these schedules to ensure even wear of the mattress comfort layers and to avoid lumps, bumps and sagging.
- No jumping! Jumping on your mattress can damage the interior construction of your mattress.
- Be sure to read the warranty and follow the specific guidelines from the bed manufacturer on the best methods of mattress care.
- Invest in good quality mattress and pillow protectors that provide both waterproofing and ventilation.
- Wash your sheets, pillow and mattress protectors as often as possible! Once a week at least. Wash these items alone without other laundry items, and make sure they are completely dry before fitting them back on your bed.
- Ventilate your room and mattress as regularly as possible. Open the windows and fold your sheets and duvet back. Cool dry conditions work well to prevent mould.
- Vacuum your mattress regularly.
- Never wet your mattress. This damages the springs, foam and comfort layers inside your mattress.
- If you use a professional cleaning service, make sure they use a dry-cleaning method.
- Avoid steam cleaning your mattress as trapped moisture becomes a breeding ground for mould and fungi.
- Use Baking Soda to assist with any odours and to keep your mattress smelling fresher. Sprinkle it on your mattress, wait 20 minutes and then use a vacuum cleaner to remove it.